Monday, October 12, 2009

Thinking

I grew up valuing the ability to think. Thinking through multiple layers, being able to think a step ahead of my competition, and later realizing that the hardest part is figuring out where to step. It is all relative, so we need a consistent and arbitrary origin, although each option is just as unimportant as the one 3 units down and 2 units to the left of it. Maybe I'll even throw in a z-axis, for kicks. My origin was unfortunately not consistent, and unfortunately arbitrary, arbitration, and arbitrage are too dissimilar of terms to make anything witty out of it. Maybe they are like opposite ends of the three axes.

Did you know that thinking is one of the greatest inhibitors to happiness? I should scientifically study this phenomenon, although I fear the potential implications. I'm lying, however; I don't really give a damn about the implications, although I do feel that nudging feeling of guilt when I think about it. But there are too many possible causes, so I'll just ignore it for now.

If a child was born without any senses, would it still think*? What a frightening yet extremely intriguing thought. What if we all had the biological prerequisites for a fifth sense, minus the wiring between the feeling and the brain? I guess that such a discovery would be the biological equivalent of the dimensions in physics.

I once had a dream that my dreams were transcending dimensions. If you consider it, it is technically feasible, but then so are your daily ponderings. I try to avoid scary movies and generally unsavory sensory input, that way I limit my potential dimension travel into relatively happier zones. And in this case, the relative is not relative.

*source: Ruby

2 comments: